The Council of Deans undertakes the following responsibilities and powers:
1. to recommend to the Board of Trustees founding faculties, institutes, departments and scientific centers inside the Kingdom of Jordan.
2. to recommend to the Board of Trustees creating programs and academic specializations, incorporating them in others or abolishing them.
3. to appoint teaching staff members in the university, promote them, give them tenure, transfer them from one category to another, depute them, lend their services, give them leaves including the sabbatical leave and unpaid leave, accept their resignation, terminate their service, and transfer them from one faculty to another.
4. to assess the works of the teaching staff members, their academic activities, their methods of teaching and their research works, and take decisions thereon.
5. to grant scholarships to teaching staff members, full-time lecturers, research or teaching assistants, and technicians working in the academic field in the university, or delegate them in scientific missions and training courses according to the standing regulations of delegation of the university.
6. to discuss draft curricula submitted by Faculty Councils, institutes and centers and take decisions thereon.
7. to assess the level of the academic performance and scientific acquisition in the university.
8. to grant academic and honorary degrees, and certificates.
9. to create professorship chairs.
10. to recommend to the Council the number of prospective students admitted annually in the different programs and specializations of the university.
11. to formulate instructions for implementing the regulation of the academic work in the university.
12. to consider any subject related to the academic work and presented by the president and does not lie within the competence of any other authority according to the enforced regulations.